Rhubarb bars with a shortbread crust and tangy rhubarb custard filling are a fun, easy spring dessert. Browse my blog for all the best rhubarb recipes on the internet.
Rhubarb bars with a shortbread crust and tangy rhubarb custard filling are a fun, easy spring dessert. Visit my blog for all the best rhubarb recipes on the internet. #rhubarb
Asparagus and rhubarb are some of my favorites. And it seems that spring is the only time you can find rhubarb. Unless you freeze some for next year, which I’m going to try and do.
My mom always froze it and it was handy to have on hand to make these bars or a pie in the winter. All we did was wash the rhubarb, dice it up, and freeze it in 4 cups bags. Easy Peasy. 4 cups is a perfect portion to thaw out and make these bars or a pie.
Deliciously tangy, sweet rhubarb bars with a sweet shortbread crust
These rhubarb bars feature all the goodness of spring. The simplicity of the recipe allows the rhubarb to shine in all its tangy glory. To highlight the freshness of the rhubarb, the crust is a simple shortbread, made from a crumb mixture of flour, sugar and butter. The buttery sweetness of the crust perfectly complements the zing of the rhubarb and with less than an hour from start to finish, what excuse do you have for not making them?
For the crust
- 1 and 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
For the filling
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups white sugar, you may reduced this down to one cup if you prefer more tart dessert
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 cups rhubarb, diced
- Preheat oven to 350 F. In a medium bowl, combine the flour and powdered sugar. Using a pastry blender cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Pat the crumbs into a well greased 9 x 13 in baking pan. Bake the crust at 350 F for 10-12 min or until lightly browned.
- While the crust is in the oven, mix together eggs, sugar, flour and salt.
- Gently stir in the diced rhubarb. Pour the rhubarb mixture over the hot crust. Return bars to the hot oven. Reduce oven temperature to 325 F and bake for 30-35 min or until the filling is set and no longer jiggly
- ins on the counter and the refrigerate until chilled before cutting into bars.
For more detail chocolatewithgrace